I thought I should open each post with a few words instead of jumping right into the 30 Day Challenge results. So here goes.
I love airplanes, see HaseFlies.blogspot.com. During my instrument training, I spent a considerable amount of time under the hood, see opening picture. During this time I was relying solely on my aircraft's instruments for proper guidance. In the early stages of this training, it would not be uncommon to find myself off course, as I was getting comfortable with the new procedures. My confidence and proficiency levels in the use of the instruments increased over time with practice. After proving to a FAA examiner that I was proficient in flying an aircraft solely off the instruments, I received my Instrument Rating. I was now legally able to pilot an airplane through IMC (instrument meteorological conditions), a.k.a. the clouds.
For years I have been approaching the IMC of weight lose and healthy living, only to turn tail and return home (to gain more weight and be unhealthy.) There were times I skirted along the clouds, even flew into them a little ways. Ultimately I turned around or escaped only moments after my entry.
I was the private pilot of weight lose.
I believed my success levels, once in the IMC, would decrease dramatically. People always spoke of the beautiful, warm, sunny beaches "of healthy and optimal living" awaiting the pilot brave enough to venture through the IMC. I was one of those "private pilots" that believed I would never in my life be able to make the journey to the other side.
In a sense, I have gained hours of "hood time" through failed attempts at weight lose, fitness courses in college, and as an athlete in high school. In theory, I should be able to make the journey into the dreaded IMC. On Friday, March 8th, 2013, my doctor ripped the training hood off my head. At that point, I realized I was ready to make the journey, the alternative was no longer an option.
So, here I am, in the thick of the IMC! I have taken the tools, knowledge, and experiences, packed them in my flight bag, and departed for those sunny beaches. My arrival is not a matter of if at this point, but a matter of when. I am certain I will run into turbulence, violent weather, hail, lost pilots, poor traffic controllers, patches of sun light, icing, and other adverse conditions along the way. In other words, the journey to a healthy and optimal life is not going to be a walk in the park. I am prepared, bring on your worst.
I feel sorry for those individuals that never get their aircraft off the ground. I feel for the private pilots that are still darting around the sky dodging the clouds, continuously looking for this "mythical" land of healthy and optimal living. We can all be Instrument Pilots if we put our minds to it.
I couldn't help but think as I was writing this entry, how does my wife fit into this analogy as a skydiver?
The 30 Day Challenge | Week One Recap
Today's email was congratulating me on my first week towards a healthier me! Neat.
Food Log Entries:
No exercise today, aside from the deep cleaning of the kitchen. I was hoping my wife was going to give the little one a bath today. I am looking forward to working out tomorrow.
FOOD | The first day of Un-routine
The weekends have always been an enormous challenge when attempting to maintain a specific diet. The weekends can be very different from the routine of the work week. I am proud to say I did not falter, I stayed on course.
Here are my daily result:
Here are my daily result:
Food Log Entries:
Started the day at 8:00, peaches and oatmeal for breakfast after a tall glass of water.
10:30 - Orange, very motivated and feeling great today!
12:30 - Ate a great left over lunch, broccoli, chicken, rice, and refried beans. It was a lot of left overs, I was thinking about eating the entire things. I decided to split it before I even started eating. That was a good choice! Half the food was just enough.
2:30 - I ate a single serving bag of smartpop!, 1/4 cup of yogurt, and an apple. There was a nice variety of salt and sweet. The popcorn may not be the best of options as it is microwavable and contains a lot of sodium. The healthy alternative would have been plain popcorn.
5:30 - Pad Thai Chicken, Rice, Peanuts, and Mixed veggies for dinner (cauli, broc, and carrots). I used a small plate and had one serving.
8:45 - Banana and non-fat yogurt, I will be eating this with a glass of water today.
EXERCISE
No exercise today, aside from the deep cleaning of the kitchen. I was hoping my wife was going to give the little one a bath today. I am looking forward to working out tomorrow.


No comments:
Post a Comment