The 30 Day Challenge | Obesigenic vs. Leptogenic
Today's email challenge consisted of two exercises:
DAY 3 Exercise 1: Go through the list of everything you ate yesterday and tabulate your nutritional quality score.
I was asked to go through the list of everything I ate yesterday and tabulate my nutritional quality score as follows: beginning at zero, if the label doesn't list one of the four components listed below in the first four ingredients, I add 1 to my score. If one of the four components is listed as one of the first four ingredients, subtract 1 from my score. Those ingredients are:
DAY 3 Exercise 2: Identify "Habits of Health" and "Habits of Disease."
A list of Habits of Health and Habits of Disease were provided. Of all the items on the list, the following habits are the ones I need to work on:
Not too bad. The load of protein came from chicken and re-fried beans for dinner.
Food Log Entries:
The cup of coffee at 9:00 AM may be the key. My lunch was a little heavy and I felt really full. I will try to avoid that from here on out through portion control.
My daughter had bath time today. You know what that means? I got to work out. As I progress through this transition, the association of my children's bath time will likely trigger a sensor reminding me to workout. Eventually this will become a hardwired habit.
I began my Biggest Loser program on the Xbox. The first workout was only 20 minutes long, classified as a light workout. I was on my feet the whole time. Wow, I was getting sore after doing 20 seconds of jump ropes (keeping feet on the ground.) Embarrassing? No, I am out of shape. It is actually a little exciting, as it is a sign of how much improvement I have to make.
I was very adamant in keeping my phone in my pocket all day long. This provided a decent snapshot of how much I walk a day. According to the results, I took 2,429 steps between 7:00 AM and 4:00 PM. 16 minutes of walking, 1.14 miles, and 151 calories expended.
DAY 3 Exercise 1: Go through the list of everything you ate yesterday and tabulate your nutritional quality score.
I was asked to go through the list of everything I ate yesterday and tabulate my nutritional quality score as follows: beginning at zero, if the label doesn't list one of the four components listed below in the first four ingredients, I add 1 to my score. If one of the four components is listed as one of the first four ingredients, subtract 1 from my score. Those ingredients are:
- High glycemic (e.g., high-fructose corn syrup)
- High fat
- High in salt
- High in chemicals
- 10 and above—Excellent
- 6 to 9—Good
- 1 to 5—Fair
- 0 to -5—Bad
- -5 to -9—Very bad
- -10 and below—Inflammatory nightmare.
DAY 3 Exercise 2: Identify "Habits of Health" and "Habits of Disease."
A list of Habits of Health and Habits of Disease were provided. Of all the items on the list, the following habits are the ones I need to work on:
- Taking a short power nap (5) minutes when tired (Habit of Health) - If I ever take naps, it is usually a full sleep cycle, this habit will most likely change in my transition.
- Exercising 5-7 days weekly (Habit of Health) - I currently exercise 0 days a week with intentions of moving to 3 a week and more as I develop the habit.
- Eating more pasta and rice (Habit of Disease) - My initial food plan had rice as a large staple, this may need to change, I was ill-informed.
- Getting 7-8 hours of sleep (Habit of Health) - I usually get 5-6 hours of sleep. Once the proper exercise begins, I am certain my sleep habits will improve.
- Wearing a pedometer daily and tracking your steps (Habit of Health) - Not a bad idea, but I would have to keep my phone in my pocket or purchase something, and I run a tight budget.
FOOD | More Adjusting
Just when I think I have made the right adjustment to my food I have to go and burn close to 300 calories working out. I hit my goal of 1,700, but quickly boosted that to 2,000 after the recorded walking and workout.
Here are my results for the day:
Not too bad. The load of protein came from chicken and re-fried beans for dinner.
Food Log Entries:
The oatmeal with 2 packets of truvia and half a can of peaches in 100% juice was great! I think I found my healthy variety I was looking for. Easy too. Of course, fresh fruit would be preferred, but canned is very convenient.
I am going to try eating a snack every 2-3 hours today in hopes of maintaining my energy levels. I am also having a single cup of black coffee around 9 with a packet of truvia for my morning kick.
Ate lunch around noon today, fish, rice, green beans, and cottage cheese. I ate the cottage cheese last. I think I should have saved it for a 2:30 snack as I am a little full.
I decided to have my afternoon snack of peaches at 3:00. I am feeling much better today. No headache (probably the addition of caffeine.)
The cup of coffee at 9:00 AM may be the key. My lunch was a little heavy and I felt really full. I will try to avoid that from here on out through portion control.
EXERCISE | About Time
My daughter had bath time today. You know what that means? I got to work out. As I progress through this transition, the association of my children's bath time will likely trigger a sensor reminding me to workout. Eventually this will become a hardwired habit.
I began my Biggest Loser program on the Xbox. The first workout was only 20 minutes long, classified as a light workout. I was on my feet the whole time. Wow, I was getting sore after doing 20 seconds of jump ropes (keeping feet on the ground.) Embarrassing? No, I am out of shape. It is actually a little exciting, as it is a sign of how much improvement I have to make.
I was very adamant in keeping my phone in my pocket all day long. This provided a decent snapshot of how much I walk a day. According to the results, I took 2,429 steps between 7:00 AM and 4:00 PM. 16 minutes of walking, 1.14 miles, and 151 calories expended.

No comments:
Post a Comment