The most challenging part of this transition, believe it or not, is keeping up with the blogs. Theses blogs serve a very important part of my transition, especially in the first 30 days. (I am actually finishing this blog, 5 days late.) I must capture the details of my daily activities so I am better equipped for adjustment in the future.
The 30 Day Challenge | Goal Setting
Today was a fun email to receive. Dr A. introduces us to the SMART method of goal setting.
DAY 17: Exercise: Goal Setting
Today's exercise had me write down some of my goals and the reason why I chose those goals. I took it a step further and defined each letter of the SMART format for each goal.
My goals in the order I will be achieving them:
1st Goal | Weigh less than 200 pounds.
Reason: This is part of maintaining optimal health. I am currently overweight.
S | Weigh less than 200 pounds
M | Weight is a measurement of force exerted on a body by gravity.
A | Well, due to the nature of this transition, I have no goal end date. I will attempt 2 pounds a week. If I am successful with that rate, I should be under 200 by the 4th of July. Neat, I may feel comfortable taking my shirt off at the lake.
R | From the research I have done, this goal is realistic. It will become more challenging as I approach 200.
T | The time line, continue doing what I am doing. Making small adjustments as necessary. Continue with the self reflection via my blog. Develop and hone my habits of health. Etc.
2nd Goal | Blood Pressure Under 120/80
Reason: This is part of maintaining optimal health. My blood pressure is currently borderline hypertension.
S | Well, I want my blood pressure to be less than 120/80.
M | Blood pressure readings are a measurement of force exerted by circulating blood upon the walls of blood vessels.
A | This should happen automatically with my new lifestyle.
R | My Doctor said this is a realistic goal and is preferred, as I am currently in a Pre-hypertension range.
T | I have a feeling, once I hit the 200 mark, my BP reading will be significantly better.
3rd Goal | Increase my muscle measurements by 10-20%
Reason: I was lean and mean in high school when I was swimming 6 days a week. I never had much muscle mass. I want to gain some muscle mass, in case I get into a brawl with some hooligans. Actually, from 2003-2005 I was on a Triathlon team, I did the swimming. At one of the events, I vividly remember a gentleman that had to be in his 60 that was in great shape. He was not skinny either, he had a healthy amount of muscle mass. I want to aspire to be like Mr. "I am 60 and I can do a Triathlon any day."
S | The specific goal is to increase my measurements by 10-20% by gaining muscle mass.
M | When I reach 200 or less, my focus will transition to losing excess body fat and building muscle. If my arms are at 18" when I begin, my goal will be to expand my arms to 19-22". This also applies to other parts of the body.
A | This is totally achievable. The phase I am in right now is setting up the foundation for this goal. I will be eating healthy on a habitual level, my body will be conditioned to exercise, I will have a lot less weight to tug around, and I will be mentally prepared.
R | This goal is absolutely realistic, thousands of other have done it before me. I had the same approach when it came to getting my Pilot's License There is some mythical aura around things of this nature, and I think too many people fall into the trap of believing them. Hard work and dedication can get you almost anywhere.
T | There is no particulars on the time frame at this point. It will be another open ended goal. Once I am in the thick of it, I may be able to make a more calculated estimation. Until then.
4th Goal | Six Pack (not beer)
Reason: The reason here goes quite deep, literally. :) This is not some thing I would be overly interested in sustaining. It will serve as a precipice in my transition. Kind of like ascending Mt. Everest. If I had exposed stomach muscle for a summer, I would be at top physical shape, a level of UltraHealthy, and at optimal physical health.
S | I want to see my stomach muscles. I always felt as though I have a really strong core, I can feel my muscle ridges under the layer of lard. So, I would like to introduce myself to them.
M | "Oh neat, that's what you look like Mr. stomach muscle group!"
A | Again, thousands before me have done this exact thing. It will be an intense challenge. In a way, I am already preparing for this ultimate goal. Everything I am doing now, and over the months and months to follow, are all assisting in achieving this goal.
R | Life is a massive balancing act. This goal will require a level of intensity and commitment that could take from other priorities in my life. The unrealistic factor would come into effect if the attempt to achieve this goal were to knock the balance of life way out of whack. I do not want this to become an obsession. It will be a very dynamic approach. Perhaps the whole thing will be extremely easy because I am making all of the preparations now. :)
T | No idea at this point. I imagine the initial time frame will be focused on minimizing body fat to something like 5-8%. Intake and crunches.
Food Log Entries:
The pasta made for a healthy meal with many servings. A great combo as it gives me lunches for days to follow.
A SMART goal is:
S-pecific
M-easurable
A-chievable
R-ealistic
T-ime oriented
Specific: Your goal should be specific and clear. For example, rather than setting a goal to lose weight or get healthy, specify the amount of weight you want to lose or what specific activity you’d like to be able to do. The more meaningful, the better.
Measurable: Make your goal easy to measure. For example, rather than saying you want to have more energy, say that you want to be able to walk eighteen holes of golf carrying a bag, without being short of breath.
Achievable: Set a reasonable goal. If you’re overwhelmed, you probably won’t stick with it. But if you know you can reach it, you’ll find yourself excited by your progress.
Realistic: Don’t put too much pressure on yourself. If you set a goal of never having dessert again, you’re likely to rebel. Instead, decide that just for now, while you’re getting down to your healthy weight, you’ll do without dessert. If you want to have dessert later on, you can do so without guilt or feelings of failure.
Time Oriented: Set a time for accomplishing your goal. I suggest that you make a timeline of activities.
Today's exercise had me write down some of my goals and the reason why I chose those goals. I took it a step further and defined each letter of the SMART format for each goal.
My goals in the order I will be achieving them:
1st Goal | Weigh less than 200 pounds.
Reason: This is part of maintaining optimal health. I am currently overweight.
S | Weigh less than 200 pounds
M | Weight is a measurement of force exerted on a body by gravity.
A | Well, due to the nature of this transition, I have no goal end date. I will attempt 2 pounds a week. If I am successful with that rate, I should be under 200 by the 4th of July. Neat, I may feel comfortable taking my shirt off at the lake.
R | From the research I have done, this goal is realistic. It will become more challenging as I approach 200.
T | The time line, continue doing what I am doing. Making small adjustments as necessary. Continue with the self reflection via my blog. Develop and hone my habits of health. Etc.
2nd Goal | Blood Pressure Under 120/80
Reason: This is part of maintaining optimal health. My blood pressure is currently borderline hypertension.
S | Well, I want my blood pressure to be less than 120/80.
M | Blood pressure readings are a measurement of force exerted by circulating blood upon the walls of blood vessels.
A | This should happen automatically with my new lifestyle.
R | My Doctor said this is a realistic goal and is preferred, as I am currently in a Pre-hypertension range.
T | I have a feeling, once I hit the 200 mark, my BP reading will be significantly better.
3rd Goal | Increase my muscle measurements by 10-20%
Reason: I was lean and mean in high school when I was swimming 6 days a week. I never had much muscle mass. I want to gain some muscle mass, in case I get into a brawl with some hooligans. Actually, from 2003-2005 I was on a Triathlon team, I did the swimming. At one of the events, I vividly remember a gentleman that had to be in his 60 that was in great shape. He was not skinny either, he had a healthy amount of muscle mass. I want to aspire to be like Mr. "I am 60 and I can do a Triathlon any day."
S | The specific goal is to increase my measurements by 10-20% by gaining muscle mass.
M | When I reach 200 or less, my focus will transition to losing excess body fat and building muscle. If my arms are at 18" when I begin, my goal will be to expand my arms to 19-22". This also applies to other parts of the body.
A | This is totally achievable. The phase I am in right now is setting up the foundation for this goal. I will be eating healthy on a habitual level, my body will be conditioned to exercise, I will have a lot less weight to tug around, and I will be mentally prepared.
R | This goal is absolutely realistic, thousands of other have done it before me. I had the same approach when it came to getting my Pilot's License There is some mythical aura around things of this nature, and I think too many people fall into the trap of believing them. Hard work and dedication can get you almost anywhere.
T | There is no particulars on the time frame at this point. It will be another open ended goal. Once I am in the thick of it, I may be able to make a more calculated estimation. Until then.
4th Goal | Six Pack (not beer)
Reason: The reason here goes quite deep, literally. :) This is not some thing I would be overly interested in sustaining. It will serve as a precipice in my transition. Kind of like ascending Mt. Everest. If I had exposed stomach muscle for a summer, I would be at top physical shape, a level of UltraHealthy, and at optimal physical health.
S | I want to see my stomach muscles. I always felt as though I have a really strong core, I can feel my muscle ridges under the layer of lard. So, I would like to introduce myself to them.
M | "Oh neat, that's what you look like Mr. stomach muscle group!"
A | Again, thousands before me have done this exact thing. It will be an intense challenge. In a way, I am already preparing for this ultimate goal. Everything I am doing now, and over the months and months to follow, are all assisting in achieving this goal.
R | Life is a massive balancing act. This goal will require a level of intensity and commitment that could take from other priorities in my life. The unrealistic factor would come into effect if the attempt to achieve this goal were to knock the balance of life way out of whack. I do not want this to become an obsession. It will be a very dynamic approach. Perhaps the whole thing will be extremely easy because I am making all of the preparations now. :)
T | No idea at this point. I imagine the initial time frame will be focused on minimizing body fat to something like 5-8%. Intake and crunches.
FOOD | Creative in the Kitchen
My morning was groggy, the smoothie last night perhaps?
Here are my results for the day:
Food Log Entries:
Alarm went of at 5:10, laid in bed for 15 minutes (no snooze...), feeling more groggy than normal. Once I got up, started stretching, and splashed some water on my face I was feeling good. I am still really sore from the work out 2 nights ago. A feeling I will be getting used to.
6:10 - Egg Beater Scramble for breakfast, added 1/4 of shredded Colby and a piece of healthy bread, added 11 grams of protein and only 21 carbs.
Spoke with Brian this morning, he suggests that my calorie intake should increase with my protein intake. I will be focusing on that over the next couple of weeks.
9:30 - Carrots, dip, and a string cheese (120 cals: carbs-14 grams, fat-3 grams, protein-8 grams). Feeling great this morning. I think listening to music may have a positive influence on my energy levels.
12:00 - AMAZING Lunch! I recall one of my firsts blog post stating the principles required for my diet. One of them was to Enjoy my food. Good job me! 2 servings of veggies and amazing fish. 420 Cal, Carbs-40g, Fat-6g, Protein-59g.
3:00 - Greek Yogurt with some flax seed and bran mixed in. Along with an apple.
5:30 - Made dinner from scratch, started with chicken tenderloins, and fresh garlic. Added some vinegar, a can of crushed tomatoes, bunch of spinach, and whole wheat rotini, and some grated parm. 382 cal, carbs-40g, fat-5g, protein-42g.
Water, Water, Water!
The pasta made for a healthy meal with many servings. A great combo as it gives me lunches for days to follow.

No comments:
Post a Comment