Friday, May 24, 2013

60 Day Challenge - Day 35: Vegetables and Fruits


Day 35: Vegetables and Fruits


Vegetable and Fruit Choices

Vegetables and fruits make up a whopping 50 percent of your meals—so it’s especially important to select the lowest-glycemic varieties. Although a small amount of low-glycemic fruit is permitted while you’re optimizing your weight, it’s best to focus on vegetables for your vegetable/fruit component. The following charts are arranged from lowest glycemic (dark green) to low glycemic (light green) to high glycemic (red).

According to the Fruit GI chart I have a tendency to consume fruit from across the scale.  I am happy to see a couple of my favorite items low on the scale; blackberries and raspberries.  I love strawberries ($4.99 for 5lbs at Costco!), blueberries, grapes and pineapple; all of which are higher on the scale.  There will come a time when a reduction of consumption of the higher GI fruits will become more critical.  I foresee this happening after I reach my goal weight and my attention gets turned towards fat burning and muscle toning.

Vegetables from the dark-green charts have very little effect on blood sugar and insulin, and they should be used freely. In fact, if you find that you absolutely need a little something need extra as you’re settling into your new eating strategy, you can select from this component. Celery is a great crunch choice!

I am really excited that I am at a point in my life where I am categorizing fruit and vegetables beyond the "Healthy food" group.  This is a sign of times!  I have come to love vegetables more than I ever have before, they are so full of flavor and meal potential!


Unhealthy Vegetables and Fruits: A Habit of Disease

It’s truly criminal what the processed and fast food industries do to once-healthy fruits and vegetables. Think of such “delights” as the Bloomin’ Onion, tempura vegetables, and sadly, the number-one selling vegetable in our country: French fries. In fact, I’ve had to put the poor potato—a healthy vegetable in some circumstances—in the starch category based on the high-glycemic, high-carbohydrate manner in which it’s usually prepared and eaten.

There has been one occasion in the past 10 weeks where I went to a fast food restaurant.   I was riding with family on the way to meet a new nephew at the hospital, we stopped at Culver's.  I went with the healthiest thing they offered, a grilled chicken salad and water.  When there is an option for quality food at hand, why go with anything else?  This of course only works for me because I continuously weigh what I put into my mouth against the mental image of my body and mind at optimal health.

But what about fruit juices? Surely that’s a healthy choice! The sad reality is that most packaged juices contain nothing more than high-fructose corn syrup with a little fruit “waved” over them. As such, they contain a high level of non-nutritive calories in a form that’s so hard for the body to detect that it doesn’t even sense it’s being overloaded with calories. The result: excess weight and a whole host of diseases.

Ha, I used to drink 100% grape juice all of the time because I was certain it was the "healthy" thing to do.  My wife always told me that it was not a good option, I didn't listen.  Well, the new me drinks water, black coffee, green tea, and the occasional glass of almond milk.  The last three items only making up 5-10% of my total liquid intake.  I love trying new beer, however, while I am transitioning to my goal weight and optimal health, beer is not an option.  When I am a fine tuned machine I am certain one 12 oz quality brew once or twice a month will not set me back.  We will see.

No comments:

Post a Comment