Day 32: Home Makeover
The Kitchen Makeover
The Doc lists the following as essential items on the kitchen checklist:
- Food scale | CHECK
- Measuring cups | CHECK
- small bowls and cups | CHECK
- 9 inch dinner plates | CHECK
- Teaspoons and salad forks | CHECK
- Our 9-inch plates are red, our 12-inch plates are blue.... | CHECK, sorta
- Plenty of bright lights | CHECK
I rewarded myself with a digital food scale when I hit 220. I keep a notepad and pencil next to the scale and utilize it everyday. I started using 9-inch plate rule a month or so ago (I think I read this email the first time around.) My plate is usually 30% protein, 60% veggies, and 10% starch.
Refrigerator and Cupboard Makeover
Make it easy to avoid high-calorie, high-fat meals and snacks by getting rid of the following:
- Whole-fat dairy products | Whole milk (for the little one), cheese (sparingly)
- Processed Deli Meats | NONE
- Fattening Salad Dressings | NONE
- White Bread, Pasta, rice, and flour | NONE
- Fruit Drinks | NONE
- Cookies | NONE, (my wife has some special lactation cookie dough she keeps on hand)
Now restock your fridge and cupboards with these:
- Fat-free or low-fat dairy products | almond milk, low-fat greek yogurt, low-fat cottage cheese 1%
- Lean proteins | skinless chicken, turkey breast lunch meat low-sodium, and fish
- Whole-grain bread and pasta, brown rice | Whole grain bread, whole wheat pasta, and brown rice are all common items in our kitchen
- Beans | Canned beans for now
- Fresh fruits and vegetables | Tons of fruits and vegtables
- Olive oil, vinegar, spray-type salad dressings | Coconut oil has become a staple in our house
- Herbs and spices | Yes please, for quick mix we use the sodium free Mrs. Dash mixes.
Healthy Snack
The Doc suggests a list of healthy snacks:
- Asparagus (1/2 cup = 18 cal, 3 carbs)
- Broccoli (1 cup = 44 cal, 8 carbs)
- Sugar-free Jello (1 snack cup = 10 cal, 0 carbs)
- Cauliflower (2 oz = 12 cal, 2 carbs)
- Celery (1 stalk = 6 cal, 1 carb)
- Dill pickle (1 = 4 cal, 1 carb)
- Radishes (1 oz = 8 cal, 2 carbs)
- Spinach (1 cup = 6 cal, 1 carb) | There is an enormous bag of spinach in our fridge at all times.
- Bouillon (1 cup = 10 cal, 1 carb)
- Cucumber (1 cup = 15 cal, 3 carbs)
- Lettuce (1 cup = 2 cal, 0 carbs)
When I first week of my journey I practically starved myself (1200 calories a day) because I was so focused on low-cal options. I have come to learn the only way I will be able to sustain my energy is by hitting my calorie goal for the day. In order to do that I had to find healthy snack options with a few more calories. Here are some of my own favorite healthy snacks:
- Baby Carrots (30 cal, 7 carbs)
- Single Serving Hummus (150 cal, 9 carbs)
- Roasted Almonds (170, 5 carbs)
- Apple (70 cal, 19 carbs)
- Low-fat cheese stick (50 cal, 1 carbs)
- Energy Blend With Edamame, Cranberries, Almonds and Pumpkin Kernels (130 cal, 14 carbs)
- Cutie Oranges
- Homemade protein bars
- Cherry Tomatoes
Bedroom Makeover
Studies show that sleep is key not just to our overall health, but to our ability to lose and maintain weight. That’s why it’s so important to get at least seven hours of sleep every night (eight for men). Design your bedroom for relaxation by using relaxing scents and light, calming colors like peach, yellow, or lavender. Stay away from late-night TV and read a motivational book instead, or write out your affirmations in your journal. Get rid of clutter in your bedroom and closets, and take any clothes that are too big for you to a consignment shop—and never look back!
I would like to think my bedroom caters to a good night of sleep. I attempt to get between 7-8 hours of sleep a night. My evening routine finishes at 9:00 pm and my morning routine starts at 4:30 am. Even though I am usually laying in bed at 9:00, I most likely will be finishing up my food journal for the day, writing tasks for tomorrow, or reading. Reading is usually the last thing I do before I roll over and go to sleep.
I started using a noise making app on my phone to assist with sleep. Last night was the first night I used it and I sleep through the night. However, the app overrode my alarm which never went off. I slept so hard that by body clock didn't even wake me. Thank you to my wife for nudging me awake almost 2 hours after my alarm should have went off.
The book I am currently listening to on my commute, Change Your Brain, Change Your Body by Doc Amen, has suggested lavender has been used for positive medicinal purposes for thousands of years across numerous cultures. So, I started dabbing some around my pillow. Autonomic nervous function and localization of cerebral activity during lavender immersion increase. Sounds good, worth a try.
No comments:
Post a Comment