Sunday, June 9, 2013

Week 13 Review

My goal weight for weigh-in this week was 209, an expected loss of 1.4 pounds.

I weighed in at 209.6.

A loss of 0.8 pounds.  The least amount of weight I have lost in 13 weeks and the first time I did not hit my goal. My goal for next weigh-in is 208. 

I was expecting this to happen much earlier than now.  Is this the start of a plateau?!  Perhaps. There were a few factors this week that I believe have led to the small amount of weight loss.

  1. I started a new workout program that has torn my muscles up and left me more sore than any other time in the past 13 weeks. This has most likely led to an increase in water retention and the lack of weight loss.  I believe a similar thing happened when I first started my tabata workouts.
  2. My wife and I celebrated our 5th anniversary on Friday at a Mexican restaurant.  I selected a relatively healthy dish of chicken breast, rice, and beans.  I did have a serving of chips and salsa.  I am certain the food was filled with fat and grease.  This Food Vacation was validated as a reward for hitting the 210 milestone and a celebration of 5 great years with my wife.  1 out of 35 meals last week was off the tracks and has little effect on the overall goal of things.
  3. Saturday was a day of activity, disc golf, bike ride, and a lot of landscaping.  In comparison to previous Saturdays, the intensity level was 2 fold.  I usually wind down on Saturday into my day of relaxation on Sunday letting my body really recover.


This past Monday I started a 36 minute a day, 10 week program titled, "Your Are Your Own Gym."  I have jumped right in.  So, the amount of time I have dedicated to working out has gone from 45 tabata minutes a week to 2 hours and 30 minutes.

Why did I make the switch?

I feel like I was plateauing with the tabata only workouts.  They were no longer challenging me in the given time frame.  I have adjusted my morning routine in a manner that allows about 45 minutes for working out.

The "un-detailed" morning routine is as follows:

  • MONDAY: Wake at 4:20 | 40 Minute Workout | Quick Breakfast
  • TUESDAY: Wake at 4:20 | self-reflection | Breakfast
  • WEDNESDAY: Wake at 4:20 | 40 Minute Workout | Quick Breakfast
  • THURSDAY: Wake at 4:20 | self-reflection | Breakfast
  • FRIDAY: Wake at 4:20 | 40 Minute Workout | Quick Breakfast
  • SATURDAY: Wake at 5:30 | 40 Minute Workout | Family breakfast
  • SUNDAY: A Day of Rest

So, this was week 1 of the 10 week in this workout program.  Am I expecting to see results? Yes. The workout on Monday had my muscles burning for the following day.  It feels good.

No comments:

Post a Comment