Sunday, July 28, 2013

Week 20 - Cave Man Gym

I want a more robust workout program, but my time is valuable.  I am frugal and the conventional gym membership is not budget or time friendly. So, my solution....


The CAVE MAN GYM


It is dirty.

It is ugly.

It is inexpensive.

It will make me sweat, bleed, and build muscle.

It will give me rough hands, scrapes and bruises.

It is my Cave Man Gym.

Loin cloth,optional.

This actually started out as a joke between a buddy and me at work one day.  We were discussing how physical results can be achieved with out the daily trips to the gym and the costly memberships that follows. While on the topic of King Leonidas and his Spartan warriors I made a joke about working out in a loin cloth.  That of course led me to stating I would have to work out in my cave man gym.

Out of curiosity, I did a Google search for Cave Man Gym and found some material (the first search result actually.) A guy by the name of Patrick M. Tracy wrote up a Cave Man Gym Handbook, an awesome 51 page document on how to build your own Cave Man Gym.  After reading through the hand book twice, I decided it was something I needed to do--just in time for the next stage in my training.

This past weekend, I cleared out a corner in the garage, made a quick stop at the hardware store, and threw together my own cave man gym.  I spent the weekend prior taking the chainsaw to an old maple in the yard, supplying much needed material for the gym.  I spent less than $15.


The Cave Man Gym
Long Limb Lifter
This beauty will be used for a number of different lifts.
Cinder-block Lifters
Pretty straight-forward.  More options for lifting or swinging.  
My answer to a kettle bell perhaps.

Rocks & Mini Boulders
Landscaping?! What landscaping?
The little guys are around 20-30 lbs.
The big guy, somewhere over 60 lbs.

Sand Bags
50 lbs of sand, wrapped in plastic, wrapped in canvas, secured with duct tape.
Great for any number of lifts.

Stump Jumper
18 " tall, about 20" in diameter.
My answer to a jump box, great for rolling, and maybe lifting too.

50 in 5 Pale
50 lbs. of sand in a 5 gallon pale.
Great for swings, squats, etc.

Cinder-blocks
These guys supply a variety of arrangements.
Great for lifting too.

The "Bench"
Very uncomfortable. Serves its purpose.
This will have to be upgraded for decline and incline ability eventually.

More Cinder-blocks
An ideal arrangement for full-movement push-ups.

More to Come

This of course is only the beginning, there is so much more I would like to add:
  • Medicine ball: an old basketball filled with some heavy material.
  • Pull up bars: preferably a full grown oak tree with sturdy limbs...or something I attach to the ceiling.
  • Dip Bars
  • Incline/Decline bench
  • A heater, for those really cold months.
  • A lion skin loin cloth, for those really cold months.
  • Animal skin tapestries
  • Cave paintings
  • Quest for Fire playing in a continuous loop.



No comments:

Post a Comment