Sunday, August 4, 2013

Week 21 - Spartans Unite

This past Saturday I hosted the first Meeting of the Spartans.  We spent about 2 hours of our day going over the Spartan Warrior Training program that will be starting on Monday August 12th. A 6-page check-in package was provided to those interested in participating.

Here is a quick excerpt from the 20+ page Spartan Warrior Training Program manual I have put together over the past month.


The Manual
If you were to ask me to do something like this 6 months ago, I would have given you a dirty look and said  something along the lines of “that’s not for me, I am perfectly happy with the way I am.”  On March 9th 2013, everything changed.  My transition to a new life began.   Here I am four months later designing a program focused on getting others started on the track to optimal health.  A complete life style transition program--I would have never imagined.
  
My Transition

By now you all know that over the past 22 weeks I have undergone a complete lifestyle transition.  This has been so much more than losing 50 pounds.  I have undergone a complete paradigm shift.  The view on nutrition, exercise, food, and my own personal health is unlike any I have ever experienced.  I have made numerous lifestyle decisions that have just begun to lead me down a path toward optimal health.  I am now at a point where I want others to experience the same.
I did not wake up one morning and decide I was going to create this program.  It started in the early weeks of my transition.  When first setting my goals, I defined one of my specific goals to be able to dress as King Leonidas of the Brave 300 for Halloween.  Considering my health at the point in time this goal was define, there was no doubt nothing but hard work, determination, and self-discipline would bring the desired results.
 
I had not had a structured exercise routine since it was required for swimming back in high school, over 10 years ago.  When I began this transition I took baby steps back into the realm of exercise.  The first couple of weeks I did light exercise 3 times a week.  The following 8 weeks were made up of Tabata style training 3 times a week.  The last 10 weeks leading up to the initiation of this program was a structured body weight training program with workouts 3-4 times a week. 

The “Spartan” Program

In order to reach my “Spartan” goal by Halloween, an amped up workout program was required.  My first approach, spend 10 weeks doing one of the many Spartacus training workout regiments out there.  Simple enough.

However, after a conversation about health and fitness with my cousin, I was inclined to ask if he would be interested in joining me as a Spartan Warrior for Halloween.  He radiated excitement at the thought.  Perhaps we would share our workout regiments and discuss our progress.  Nothing more was considered.

The Check-In Package
The weeks following this conversation, I began to realize the impact my weight loss and lifestyle transition have had on the people around me.  A day did not seem to go by without someone asking “How did you do it?” or “What diet are you on?”  My answers usually sounded something like this, “I have made a complete lifestyle transition, achieved through hard work, determination, and loads of self-discipline.”  It was at this point that I realized my lifestyle transition was in full-swing and the idea of a Spartan training program was conceived.

The idea of a Spartan Program began to grow in the back of my mind.  I started brainstorming. The goal behind a program of this nature should be to assist others in finding that path to optimal health.  The program should NOT focus on a single aspect, like weight loss.  Although weight loss is usually a common goal, it is not an ultimate goal, it should be a by-product.  The ultimate goal from this program should be optimal health.  This would be achieved through a reforming of one’s mind, an obliteration of unhealthy habits that lead down the track to a life of poor health, and the development of healthy habits.

What started out as a potential routine workout program has turned into so much more.  

Needless to say, I am very excited to start this 10-week program with my close friends and relatives.  I have high hopes of seeing some awesome results.

No comments:

Post a Comment